Wednesday, November 12, 2008

10 Year Old Divorced Girls Inspiring Story

10 Year Old Divorced Girls Inspiring Story
Posted by Ace on November 11, 2008 at 11:20am



The most talked about honoree of the 2008 Glamour Women of the Year awards was a small child of 10. Nujood Ali, who flew all the way from her native Yemen for the ritzy Carnegie Hall gala, was married off by impoverished parents to a 30-year-old man who raped and abused her.

Her father, who drew an annual salary equivalent to $900, had 18 children and couldn't afford to clothe and feed Ali so he gave her up for marriage. Though her older husband promised to wait years before becoming intimate with his child bride, he beat her and raped her on their wedding night. Ali had enough.

Taking a solo trip to a Yemen courthouse, she sat until a judge took notice and heard her pleas for help. After the lawyer linked her up with a human rights lawyer named Shada Nasser, the brave girl became the country's first child bride to legally end her marriage with a divorce.

"I didn't like my husband so my stepmother told me if I wasn't happy, I should go to court," Ali told The Daily News through a translator. "But no one was willing to take me. So I went on my own."

Praise for the pint-sized hero was flowing from some of the biggest names at Monday night's ceremony.

During her own acceptance speech, Senator Hillary Clinton told the audience, "one of the greatest women I have ever seen is Nujood. She set an example with her courage I hope will continue to challenge all of us."

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice told The News, "I can't wait to meet [Ali]. What an incredible story. That's going to be a great inspiration to talk to her."

Glamour Editor in Chief Cindy Leive said, "how Nujood got the courage to do that at the age of nine, I'll never know. Sometimes you feel like some people are born to change the world and when I met her, I thought, 'You're one of them.'"

"It's my first time in New York City," Ali told The News. "I went to the Museum of Natural History, and to Central Park and I went on a cruise in the river. That was my favorite."


Source: NY Daily News
Share
< Previous Post
Next Post >
30 Comments
Comment by DAAces 15 hours ago
Im First for some Bullshit
Comment by Lady Truth 15 hours ago
Lord Have Mercy!! Bless Her Little Heart!!!! I am So Glad She Has Been Freed From Such Torture!!! I hope that she can heal from this awful attack!!!!!
Comment by DeeNyC5 15 hours ago
Sick shit
Comment by 1ST 15 hours ago
BUST A NUT LIKE A HORSE... INFO ON MY PAGE
Comment by waleed 15 hours ago
ohh what da hell
Comment by DAAces 15 hours ago
haaa haaa I owned this man, why you deleted all of the comments????? LOL
its all good though, I was just fucking around
Comment by Ali 15 hours ago
now thats just sick
Comment by $tack Or $tarve Productions 15 hours ago
whats up with the countries selling their kids?
Comment by lady lynxx - my novel is out now! 15 hours ago
What a brave little girl indeed. Marrying kids off at such a young age should be stopped because some men are so nasty and rape the poor chil'ren...
Comment by tah232 15 hours ago
some people are just sick

No comments: